With more environmentally friendly, forms of internment gaining popularity, TWGHs had successfully awarded the Ashes Scattering services tender from FEHD with effect from 1 Nov 2019 to 31 Oct 2022 and 1 Nov 2022 to 31 Oct 2025. We aim to devote a green message in handling remains more environmentally friendly and sustainable.
Free ferry service for Scattering of Cremated Ashes at Sea
||Every Saturday (Except public holiday)
|The place of boarding and alighting
||North Point (East) Passenger Ferry Pier
|Designated Areas for the scattering of cremated human ashes at sea
||East of Tung Lung Chau / South of West Lamma Channel.
|Accommodation of each ferry trip
||*25 (each applicant can bring up to ten family members, relatives or friends on board. Applicants who wish to bring more relatives and friends may contact FEHD for suitable arrangement whenever situation permits).
||A funeral director will be on board to assist family members and friends in the memorial ceremonies
*Accommodation of each ferry trip may be changed in response to the epidemic situation of COVID-19.
- The completed application form should be submitted at least 10 days before the proposed date for the scattering of cremated human ashes to any one of the following offices of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Section, Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD).
- Cemeteries and Crematoria (Hong Kong) Section:
- 1J Wong Nai Chung Road, Happy Valley, Hong Kong (Near Hong Kong Cemetery)
- Cemeteries and Crematoria (Kowloon) Section:
- Upper Ground Floor,6 Cheong Hang Road, Hung Hum, Kowloon
- Application form FEHB 198 can be downloaded from the FEHD website or can be obtained from the offices of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Section. You can open the e-form eFEHB 198, fill in all required information and then submit it on-line. You may refer to the guidelines on the use of e-form before filling it.
- For an application to scatter cremated human ashes at the designated area and free ferry service, approval will be granted by FEHD normally within 5 working days from the date of receipt of a duly completed application. FEHD does not charge any fee for processing of the application.
- The original of the "Permit to take away cremated ashes" shall be returned to FEHD before formal approval is granted.
- If after approval, the approved person needs to change the date and/or time of the scattering of cremated human ashes due to special circumstances, he/she should inform FEHD at once by phone, fax or email according to the above contact information for re-processing the granting of approval.
- The applicant must comply with the following approval conditions for scattering of cremated human ashes at sea:
- Unless otherwise approved by the Director of FEHD in writing, the scattering of cremated human ashes at sea only take place at the approved time, on the approved date and within the approved Designated Area.
- Apart from the cremated ashes of the deceased and a handfulNote of fresh flower petals,no food, ritual offerings or any other object are allowed to be thrown into the sea.
- The approved person or his/her authorized person should observe all relevant ordinances or regulations of Hong Kong when scattering cremated human ashes at sea.
- The ceremony for the scattering of cremated human ashes at sea should be conducted only by the approved person or his/her authorized person on board a vessel.
- In case other vessels, for example fishing vessels, are present within the approved Designated Area, the scattering of cremated human ashes should be conducted away from the vessels.
- In case dolphins are present within the approved Designated Area, the scattering of cremated human ashes should be conducted after all dolphins have left.
- Applicants may apply in person orthrough an authorised person at the above Office, together with the completed application form and the original copy of the "Permit to Take Away Cremated ashes".
- The applicant may also choose to send the application form to the above Office by fax or by post, or to fill in the e-form and submit the application online. Upon receipt of the form, the Department will contact the applicant to arrange for submission of the original copy of the "Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes" in person.
Leaflet of Eco-sea Burial